Girl Scouts - NC Coastal Pines has a cool opportunity just for our older Girl Scout Teens called the STEM Stars. Are you one of those girls who is proud of your geek status? Looking for new ways to flex your STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) muscles? Apply to be a STEM Star!
Here are just a few things you might do as a part of this elite team:
- Visit STEM departments at various colleges and universities to learn what majors are available.
- Learn how to build, create, and program with LEGO® robotics, then share your knowledge with younger girls at a variety of council events.
- Participate in exclusive behind-the-scenes opportunities at area science museums.
- Connect with mentors in STEM fields while visiting local STEM businesses.
- Learn alongside counselors, faculty, and staff as junior staff at our 2014 summer science camp for Girl Scout Cadettes at Meredith College.
The application deadline is October 1, 2013. For more information contact the STEM program director, Deanna Welker, at 919-782-3021 or 800-284-4475. ext. 3306
NORTH CAROLINA PAGE PROGRAM
Do you have an interest in government? If so, apply to serve as a Page in the Governor's Office during Girl Scout Week (March 10-14, 2014).
You will join Girl Scouts from across North Carolina to learn about state governmental functions and departments, explore local current events, and visit local sites of historic interest.
Girls are selected through an application process and must have excellent academic standing (A/B average). Applications are now available and must be returned to the Raleigh Service Center by December 1, 2013.
RELIGIOUS RECOGNITIONS FOR GIRLS
The religious awards programs provide opportunities for girls to reinforce the values they have learned in Girl Scouting, fulfill their promise “to serve God,” and explore their own faith. There are programs for every grade level, with each providing hands-on, thought-provoking activities for participants. Each girl participant and facilitator receives a printed guide to walk them through the whole process. Plus there's the new GSUSA program, the My Promise, My Faith Pin. Check out the requirements for that in your Girls' Guide to Girl Scouting.
For more information about all religious recognitions:
- Come to a religious recognitions workshop (open to girls, troop leaders, and parents), offered at various times throughout the year.
- Go to the P.R.A.Y. organization’s website, and look at the different options available for each denomination/faith.
- Contact Deanna Welker, Program Director, at 919.600.6306 or 800.284.4475 ext. 3306.