Troop Camping and Trip Permission

TP103 - Troop Camping and Trip Permission

To the Troop Leader – When to Use This Form

Service Unit permission is REQUIRED for: overnight or longer activities (to include camping), swimming or boating activities, or any activity requiring outside certification (i.e. canoeing). This permission is an important protection for you, the adult responsible for a group of girls.  It confirms that you will meet the applicable GSUSA Safety-Wise Activity Checkpoints.

Send both copies of form* to the Service Unit Manager at least two weeks before the activity or event concerned.  Use ball-point pen and firm pressure or typewriter to make clear copies.  On approval, the Service Unit Manager will return the yellow copy to you, and will keep the white copy.  The white original copy will be sent to the Membership Staff upon completion of trip.  See below for additional instructions and information.

*Some Service Unit Managers have email capabilities and can accept and approve this form by email. Check with your Service Unit Manager to see if this is possible in your area.  Please still allow two weeks for approval. 

Planning Procedures and Special Instructions

For all troop activities, refer to specific “Safety-Wise Activity Checkpoints” and “Planning Trips with Girl Scouts” in Volunteer Essentials.

*Extra insurance is needed for all trips lasting more than two consecutive nights or when non-members are accompanying the group.  The Service Unit Manager (SUM) provides insurance forms to leaders.  SUM signs insurance form and returns to the troop leader to mail form along with a troop check to Mutual of Omaha, PO Box 31716, Omaha, Nebraska 68131. Payment and request must arrive at Mutual of Omaha before the activity.   Troops traveling outside of the continental US must submit insurance form to Program Department.

  1. If applicable, complete TP103 (on other side) and forward to your Service Unit Manager at least two weeks in advance of your activity. Although this permission is not required for simple day activities, most of the planning procedures still apply. See your Trip and Travel Guide (available at for additional information.  As a courtesy, please notify (call/email) your Service Unit Manager any time your troop will be traveling.
  2. Most activities/trips require an adult trained in first aid/CPR.  Look up your activity in Safety-Wise Activity Checkpoints and see if a first aider is required.  Fill in her/his name and dates of certification. Attach a copy of the certification(s) to this request.
  3. An Emergency Contact adult is someone who has agreed to be the person that you or the parents can contact in case of emergency on this trip. This person should have a list of girls on the trip, their parents’/guardians’ contact names and phone numbers, your contact numbers while on the trip and a detailed agenda of your trip. The Emergency Contact Adult should keep this information with them for the entire time the group is on the trip.
  4. Water activities require a lifeguard and/or trained boating personnel.  Look up your water activity in Safety-Wise Activity Checkpoints and see what is required.  Fill in the name of certified person and check off their specific certification and certification expiration dates. Attach a copy of their certification(s) to this request.
  5. If you are going camping, an Outdoor Skills trained adult must plan with and prepare the girls and must accompany the Troop on the activity. 
  6. Any person spending the night with a Troop must be registered and have a completed background check on file with Girl Scouts – North Carolina Coastal Pines.
  7. If you are renting, leasing, or borrowing a vehicle, complete a Request for a Certificate of Insurance and send to the Raleigh Service Center, attention: Program Department.  If you are using personal vehicles, you do not need to request a certificate of insurance. 
    Bus contracts must be signed by the Chief Executive Officer of Girl Scouts – North Carolina Coastal Pines.  Send a copy of the contract to the Program Department.
  8. Each driver of personal vehicles should have a packet that contains;
    • Checklist for drivers (Volunteer Essentials)
    • Permission forms for each girl in the vehicle
    • Health history forms for each girl and adult in the vehicle
    • Name and phone number of the home emergency contact person
    • A map with any pre-planned stops clearly marked.  Troops should not caravan.  This is a dangerous practice and can lead to multiple car accidents.
    • Each car should have a first aid kit.  The driver must have personal car insurance that includes liability coverage.