Lifeguard Training at Camp Mary Atkinson - August 17-19, 2018
Fri Aug 17, 5:00 PM - Sun Aug 19, 5:00 PM EDT
8591 NC #42 East, Selma, NC, 27576, USA Map
$105.00 per person
Camping & Outdoors
Join us to be trained as an American Red Cross Lifeguard. This certification meets the Safety Activity Checkpoints to take your troop swimming. Overnight stays are required. You must be present for the entire course. This session includes the waterfront module and a First Aid/CPR component. The First Aid/CPR component requires additional work to be completed online prior to the session. Please note that the blended learning link closes out 24 hours prior to the actual start of the class and cannot be reopened.
Please bring a water bottle.
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this module.
2. Swim 550 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles are allowed.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
5. Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
Fees include (for Saturday and Sunday):
- Meals for the weekend
- Course certification fees
- Lifeguard Manual
- Lifeguard Hip Pack with Adult CPR Mask, Infant CPR Mask, and Whistle
Registration Opens: April 1, 2018, 10:00 AM Registration Deadline: May 21, 2018, 11:59 PM (midnight)